What can Barcelona Experts offer you?
Why do our customers book this tour?
- This tour is very personalised because there are several options. You can choose what you prefer.
- It is the most comprehensive tour. The itinerary has been carefully thought to combine a guided visit and free time.
- The tour ends in the evening, which may seem late but it will allow you to listen to the Escolania Boys’ Choir in the Vespres Evening Mass, when there are far less people than noon.
What’s not included
- Lunch or drinks.
- Silence must be kept inside the church so the guide will give all the explanations outside.
- Dress a bit warmer for Montserrat, it is colder than the city.
- This tour involves some walking so wear comfortable shoes.
- The choir in the evening includes the children (Escolania) on Monday and Wednesday. On Friday, July, August and other school holidays the evening mass is sung exclusively by the monks.
What to expect
Your guide will reveal the stories and legends hidden throughout the Montserrat Natural Park, and will take you along each and every available corner of the Sanctuary.
We will all meet at your accomodation and will set out to Montserrat at noon. The first you will see is the serrated skyline of this extraordinary mountain, drive up the mountain and enjoy the wonderful panoramic views. It will be about an hour drive, once there you will start with a stroll towards the plaça de Santa Maria.
You will get an interesting introduction to Montserrat with an audiovisual, walk along the small market with local produce where you can taste some mel i mató (fresh cheese with honey).
At the Montserrat Museum you will see works by Picasso, Dalí, El Greco, and many other collections including archeological pieces from the Ancient World to vanguard art. You will continue with the guided visit to the Monastery and the Basilica, where you will have direct access to see the Black Madonna from a close up. If you wish to enjoy some free time and explore the mountain, you can even take the funicular to Sant Joan chapel which has some privileged views,
Finally, the best of all, you will experience one of the most spiritual and mystical moments of the day, with the prayer of the Vespres, sung by the monks and the Escolania, the Boys’ Choir in Montserrat, where you will enjoy the magical atmosphere created and the marvelous acoustics in the interior of the Basilica.
The home of the Black Madonna and a place to feel overwhelming Nature